The Stevens Group was formed by Duke Wm. Stevens, Sr. in 1990 as the umbrella for several different closely held real estate entities either acquired or formed prior to that time. Those companies included Northlane, Ltd. (est. 1961), the original developer of Sunset Square, Community Realty, Ltd. (est. 1960), the developer of Wonderland Mall (formerly Cross Roads Mall), Community Realty, Inc. (est. 1966), which developed many grocery anchored centers in the San Antonio and Austin areas, S&S Investments (est. 1978), developer of several small strips and fast food restaurants in San Antonio and Austin, as well as an office building in Seguin, and finally The Maurer Group (est. 1984), at which time Stevens acquired controlling interest of the entity which developed a grocery anchored center in the early 1950’s on the east side of San Antonio. Wm. R. Stevens (1908-2008), father of Duke Stevens, Sr. and grandfather of Duke Stevens, Jr., had previously been a limited partner in the majority of these entities during his career while serving as the Comptroller and a Director of the Handy Andy Grocery chain.
In 2002, Duke Stevens, Sr. and Duke Stevens, Jr. formed South Texas Investment Developers, Ltd., which acquired Northlane, Ltd.’s Sunset Square Shopping Center. They immediately did a partial tear down and complete renovation of the 40 year old property which is now anchored by HEB. Another renovation of this center is currently underway.
During 2006 the two Stevens acquired Nogalitos/Theo, Ltd., owner of yet another grocery anchored center in southwest San Antonio, and immediately did a tear down which resulted in a freestanding CVS Drug store.
Today The Stevens Group owns, manages, and leases nine commercial properties throughout the San Antonio metro. All of these properties have been renovated by the Stevens and comprise of just under 400,000 square feet of retail space.
The Stevens Group: “Breathing new life into established properties and maintaining the value of successful commercial retail properties throughout San Antonio.”